About Me

educator, writer, traveler

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Pray for Asian Disaster Victims- updated on Dec. 28

I'm sure you've heard that an earthquake in Indonesia triggered tsunamis and tidal waves. Waves hit several Asian countries, India, and even the Eastern coast of Africa. 22,000 people have been reported dead. One of them was a grandson of the King of Thailand. He died in Phuket. At our school, we were required to black or gray and non-bright colors to express our sympathy.

News reports said this may be the costliest disaster in history because so many people lived in the affected areas. Remember to pray for the rescue workers and the people who lost family and friends. Others lost their businesses and homes. Sri Lanka was probably affected the worst. The worst hit place in Thailand was Phi Phi Island. All the guesthouses were destroyed and hundreds of tourists were killed. I went there in August. I'm praying for the scuba instructor I had. I hope he's okay. Unfortunately, this time of year is the peak season for tourists at Phi Phi. So many foreigners were injured or killed. Thai warships had to come to pick up people from the island.

Earlier this month I went to the Similan Islands and Phuket. The coral reef in the Similan Islands was badly damaged by the waves. That's really sad because it was so beautiful. A Thai teacher told me that a restaurant that we stopped at in Phuket was destroyed. I was in Bangkok when this happened, far away from danger. I didn't feel the earthquake, but a Thai teacher who lives on the 19th floor of her building did. Take care.

No comments: