About Me

educator, writer, traveler

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Siem Reap- Angkor Temples

The temples of the ancient civilization of Angkor were incredible. Only being there can really capture that. I took loads of photos. My favorite parts were the carvings in the wall at Angkor Wat, the large faces at Bayon, and the huge trees that grew over the Ta Prohm temple. If you want to see them up close then you should go there or watch the Tomb Raider movie.

Some of the more memorable moments included the moments we interacted with the Cambodian children. Many of them come to the temples to beg or sell postcards, water bottles, handicrafts and other things. Most of them speak English surprisingly well. Halley talked to them about what they wanted to do. Some of them wanted to be tour guides. Tan and I gave candy to the kids since we didn't want to buy things from all of them. Many of the kids would ask you questions like where are you from? I answered. "America. Texas." Then they would say, "The capital of America is Washington, D.C. The capital of Texas is Austin." I asked them the capital of other states and they knew lots of them. I was impressed. One of the boys I met asked me, "What is your name?" "My name is Steve. What is your name?" "My name is Superboy." I gave him some candy, and then Tan and I bought some water and we bought ice cream for about eight kids. Then Superboy gave me a postcard that he wrote. It said, "I'm very glad to meet you. You were very nice. I hope to see you again when you comeback to Cambodia. Superboy."

I was very touched. He had such a good attitude despite his circumstances.

No comments: